Monday, August 27, 2012

Small Issue


Barrel Nut Shims Part #: SAR1000
  So, in my last article I mentioned a small problem I had during assembly of my upper. I was installing the barrel nut and was having a problem getting it aligned with the gas port on the upper receiver. I tightened the barrel to 80 foot pounds and it still would not align properly. I tried a second barrel nut and had the same issue. I then began to wonder if there was a way to correct the issue without buying more barrel nuts.

  I figured there should be a way to shim the barrel nut. So, I started to search online for thin metal to make some shims with. I found thin sheets of metal, but I was really wanting something I would not need to cut to work. I did a new search for "barrel nut shims", and found that they are available.

  I located a set of barrel nut shims in stock on the Spike's Tactical website. I ordered a set of them and waited for them to arrive. Once they were here, I was eager to complete the assembly. So, off to the vice with tools and parts in hand. I tried the different thicknesses of shims in the kit till I found the one that would work. It took 66 foot pounds of torque to line up the barrel nut with the gas port.

  So, if you have an issue with a barrel nut or you need to set the torque for a quadrail handguard I suggest you look into the barrel nut shims from Spike's Tactical.

  So, please remember to be safe and as always, keep it down range.

2 comments:

  1. In that kit you should have multiple thicknesses. Spikes suggest you try 1 shim, it this doesn't not work you can do two thin. I used the latter and it worked like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, glad to hear this kit worked for you.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments.